About this opportunity
The St Vincent de Paul Society is looking for people in all areas across NSW who are interested in joining the Society as a Conference Member.
As a member you have the opportunity to make a difference by:
• Providing Immediate Assistance: Short term help for the individual person or family could be in the form of food vouchers and assistance with rent and bills.
• Giving a Hand Up: Our members delve deeper and build trusting relationships with the people we assist, uncovering the longer term help that may be required. This is often done through actively listening, sharing stories and responding with assistance such as budget counseling.
• Raising Our Voices for Social Justice: Actions speak louder than words. The Society is a network of charity and social justice encircling the world. Our Society's unique grassroots approach inspires a variety of responses such as home visitation, social visitation, music groups and other innovative local responses.
Conference work generally requires that you help out for approximately 3 hours per fortnight.
We would love a volunteer who’s passionate about social justice and has some basic computer and numeracy skills to contribute to the Conference’s activities.
What we ask of you:
• To bring with you compassion, a non-judgmental attitude and most of all a good and kind heart. These important personal attributes underpin this opportunity to provide care and support for some of the most vulnerable in our community.
• We also ask for an ability to maintain confidences and respect for the privacy of those we assist, ability to listen and respond without judging and a willingness to join with others to support those in need.
How we will support you:
• You will be trained and mentored at every stage. You will enjoy the support and camaraderie that is part of the Conference. You will gain a greater understanding of poverty and disadvantage and how it impacts people’s lives and you will experience what it means to put one’s faith into action.
You will meet some wonderful people and you will feel a great sense of achievement when you have given a hand up to someone and not just a hand out.
For more information on how you can get involved, please contact us on the link below.
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
• Varies according to the conference and the availability of the volunteer. • Could be from 1- 8 hours per week / fortnight (1 hour meeting, plus 2- 6 hours for home visits)Interested in
- Companionship and Social Support
The Vincentian Visitation Guidelines will be provided and the Conference President and members will welcome you to the conference and mentor you as you begin.