About this opportunity
The St Vincent de Paul Society is a lay Catholic organisation that has almost 20,000 members and volunteers carrying out good works on behalf of the Society in NSW alone. The Society is one of the largest charitable providers in Australia today, helping people in every area of human need. In NSW there are over 420 Conferences, with dedicated members and volunteers who conduct visits every week bringing comfort, dignity and hope to disadvantaged and marginalised people. The St Vincent de Paul Society in NSW operates a number of Special Works including homeless facilities, over 245 Vinnies Centres (shops) and a range of other special programs.
Jim da Silva Farm Nowra is a joint venture of the St Vincent de Paul Society and the NSW Department of Housing providing medium to long term accommodation for men experiencing homelessness who are dealing with ongoing drug and alcohol issues, mental illness, emotional disturbances and/or mild developmental delay.
We are seeking a reliable and passionate volunteer to undertake sleepover shifts within a residential service for unaccompanied men aged 25 years and over with a mental illness or that may have experienced homelessness. This position is a minimal oversight role. Accommodation is provided.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Providing minimal oversight of the service and up to 14 residents within the service.
• Remain onsite from 8pm through to 8am Monday through to Sunday.
• Maintain a clean and tidy environment whilst empowering residents to participate.
• Work alongside support staff to ensure a clean, safe and secure site.
• Identify WHS risks and hazards and notify Team Leader immediately.
• Carry out all duties in an occupationally safe manner
• Work in a trauma informed manner at all times.
• To keep confidential any personal or sensitive information, written or verbal.
• Other duties as negotiated.
Essential Skills & Knowledge
• Genuine desire to assist others.
• A willingness to be trained, receive direction and feedback from supervisors
• An understanding of mental illness, addiction and homelessness.
• Ability to operate Microsoft Word for handover and communication between staff.
• Good communication skills.
• Ability to work within the code of conduct of The Society.
• Empathy, understanding and compassion
• Ability to work with all levels of an organisation and with other community volunteers
• Understanding of WHS legislations and working in an occupationally safe manner.
• Applicants with previous experience or qualifications in grounds maintenance, handyman experience or experience working in a community services environment will be favourably considered.
• To work in a team of staff and volunteers that value community involvement.
• To work consistently with the goals of the St Vincent de Paul Society and the community building approach of the Jim Da Silva Farm.
National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
Remain onsite from 8pm through to 8am Monday through to Sunday.Interested in
- Companionship and Social Support
- Safety and Emergency Services
- Trades and Maintenance
Full training will be provided.