About this opportunity
Reception is the nerve centre of Ten Lives! As the biggest cat shelter in Tasmania our Reception area gets extremely busy as all Centre enquiries, retail sales, incoming calls, visitors and adoptions are processed here. The Reception and Retail Assistant role focuses on retail sales, incoming calls, visitors and enquiries, which frees the reception staff to prioritise adoptions and surrenders, especially during kitten season (Oct-March).
In this role you'll:
• Meet and greet customers and cat lovers visiting the Centre
• Act as the Centre switchboard (answer phones, transfer calls, take and send messages)
• Assist supervisor with adoptions and surrenders
• Serve retail customers and process retail sales
• Help to educate customers about the importance of desexing, microchipping and general feline care
• Maintain shop stock and foster care stock
• Assist supervisor with bookings for boarding
• Clean and maintain reception, shop & kitchen areas
• Audit/maintain ‘Lost Cat’ reports and trap returns
• Upload cat profiles and photos to Shelter Buddy system
• Assist with writing cat personality profiles
• Any other general administrative/reception tasks as required
• Adhere to Ten Lives Workplace Health and Safety Policies and Procedures.
To be successful in the role you'll need:
• Friendly and approachable manner and the ability to effectively communicate with a range of people
• Ability to deliver a high level of customer service
• Ability to work well in a team and follow direction
• Resilience, confidence and adaptability
• Ability to prioritise, manage competing demands and solve problems
• Computer literacy
• Commitment to animal welfare
• Police check
In return you'll gain the following skills:
• Customer service
• Retail sales
• General administration
• Stock control
• Training and career pathway opportunities
• Knowledge of Ten Lives Cat Centre
• Being a part of a not-for-profit organisation making a huge difference to feline welfare in Tasmania.
Thousands of cats pass through the centre annually and in kitten season (Oct-March) it’s one every 30 minutes during our seven day a week operation. This role provides an excellent opportunity to gain reception, sales and administrative experience and frees up our staff to prioritise adoptions and surrenders and continually improve our processes. This in turn helps us to provide a better experience for our customers, minimise the number of days in care for our cats and help them find their forever home. Check out the Volunteer page of the Ten Lives website for more information.
National Police Certificate *.
Due to the amount of orientation and training required for each position, we are unable to take volunteers for short periods such as one or two days or a week. In general, we ask that volunteers commit to an ongoing volunteering period of at least three months.Interested in
- Administration, Office Management
- Retail and Sales
- Working with Animals
Ten Lives provides Induction as well as training on cat handling, Centre procedures and health and safety. Specific reception training is on-the-job with Supervisors and staff