About this opportunity
Vision Australia is the largest national provider of blindness and low vision services. Our office based in Wollongong is looking for volunteers to work with our Clients to improve their skills and navigation with the use of a DAISY player, iPhone or iPad to enable them to access our Library Services.
You will provide guidance, reinforcement, give prompts and encourage repetition to improve Client’s learning.
You will need to use various learning strategies, taking into consideration the Client’s vision impairment and other deficiencies. Training and support will be provided.
The role will involve meeting Client’s at our Wollongong office or in their homes, depending on mobility for a few hours a week.
To thrive in this role you will be:
• Interested in disability support and the development of skills on an individualised basis
• Proficient in the use of an iPhone and iPad
• Keen to expand your own and others knowledge on the use of a Daisy player
• Patient, calm, confident and unflappable when others become frustrated if they struggle to understand or complete a task
• Flexible and creative to adapt your communication style and training approach depending on the task and the capabilities of the client.
For more information please contact the Coordinator of Volunteers on 4220 4319 or register your interest in this role.
Driver's Licence (C) . National Police Certificate *. Working with Children Check *.
3 to 4 hours a weekTraining
Volunteer Induction and Orientation & Mobility training.Reimbursement