- Location: Homebush NSW
- Category: Education & Training
Regular - more than 6 months
Homebush Public School Fridays, 9.30am – 11.30am
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
A volunteer may buddy with another volunteer to cover the commitment during the school Term.
The Chatterbox Café provides a safe and welcoming environment for individuals wanting to practise their English Conversation Skills.
Volunteers will be supported to engage members of the community from diverse backgrounds in English Conversation on a range of topics. Topics often cover useful information about local culture and community services, differences between cultures and important days such as: Harmony Day, Australia Day etc.
The Chatterbox Cafe will provide an informal and social opportunity to get people talking to practise their English and meet new people in a relaxed and fun atmosphere.
• Good Communication and English speaking skills, willingness to listen as well as speak and have an interest in other cultures.
• Must commit to the program for 10 weeks (one school term) but may buddy with another volunteer to complete the commitment
• Show reliability and punctuality
• Must undergo training as required. Council will advise
• Must have own transport
• Ability and ongoing commitment to work with or without supervision
• Ability to work as part of a team and foster positive relationships between the community and Council
• Knowledge of the Strathfield area
• Current first aid certificate
• TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certificate
• To engage in conversation in the English language with members of CALD (Culturally and Linguistically Diverse) communities on a range of topics.
• Manage the workplace ensuring the risk of injury to staff and community members is minimised or removed through risk analysis.
Work Health and Safety:
All volunteers must take reasonable care for their own health and safety and comply and cooperate with reasonable instructions, policies and procedures regarding the safety and health of other persons and workplaces.
Managers and supervisors have a positive duty to exercise due diligence to ensure that Council complies with its safety operations. The volunteers who occupy these jobs must acquire and keep up-to-date knowledge of Council’s work, health and safety systems which include plans, policies and procedures. Managers and supervisors must have an understanding of work health and safety matters within their scope of operations and ensure that processes for compliance are implemented.
All Council volunteers are expected to:
• Follow safe practices/procedures to perform your duties in a manner, so as affect the health and safety of yourself or others
• Participate in development of safe work procedures and risk assessments with your supervisor when required
• Actively participate in WHS inductions and training when required
• Wear and use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in the prescribed manner and when specified
• Participate in workplace inspections if required
• Use and maintain plant or equipment of any kind, including computer and other telecommunication devices in accordance with instructions and procedures
• Participate in emergency preparedness training, including any required knowledge for business continuity plans.
• Report all hazards, near misses and damage as per the Strathfield Municipal Council (SMC) reporting procedure.
• Participate in accident and incident investigations as required
Report all injuries/illnesses that occur at work immediately
If injured at work, actively cooperate and participate to comply with obligations imposed under injury management and return-to-work plans where applicable.
• To engage in conversation in the English Language with members of CALD (culturally and linguistically diverse) communities on range of topics
• Manage the workplace ensuring the risk the risk of injury to staff and community members is minimised or removed through risk analysis