- Location: Fairfield West NSW
- Category: Family Services
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Education & Training
- Mediation & Advocacy
- Sport & Physical Activity
- Tutoring & Coaching
- Families with Children
Regular - more than 6 months
Full time care of student outside of schooling hours is required. Students return to community each school holidays (approx. 14 weeks per year)
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
A weekly carer allowance is paid to all host families to cover the cost of accommodation, food and transport to school and football practice.
We need warm and welcoming families, who have room in their hearts and their homes, to help accommodate talented Aboriginal teenagers who have won a scholarship for a life-changing opportunity to go to school and play football in Sydney.
The students will be travelling from their home in the remote Northern Territory to Sydney to chase their dreams with support and encouragement from their families and loved ones. With a chance to gain insight into their unique Aboriginal worldview, whilst watching these children grow and develop to reach their potential, the experience is immensely rewarding.
We are seeking host families with teenage children of their own, who are able to:
- Provide a ‘home away from home’ environment where the child feels welcome and safe
- Help with school pick up/drop-off, transport to football games, training, and key appointments or occasional special events where their attendance is required
- Provide the child with his or her own or shared bedroom, nutritious meals, and assistance with life skills.
We endeavour to find host families with the dedication, knowledge and skills to best help our students with homesickness and finding their feet in the city. They transition with remarkable resilience from a remote Indigenous community with less than 1000 permanent residents, to large, diverse, fast-paced Sydney. Interest in Indigenous culture and experience in social, youth or work with children are helpful.
How will we support you?
- Dedicated support team and direct contacts for assistance outside of regular hours/weekends
- Weekly carer allowance to meet costs
- Student wellbeing and development plans
- School liaison support
- Breaks each school holidays as the students return home at the conclusion of each term
To be eligible, a valid Working With Children’s Permit and Police Check are required. The Moriarty Foundation are happy to assist with the process of attaining either.
If you are interested or would like more information, please click the volunteer button to submit your expression of interest and we will be in touch.