- Location: Braybrook VIC
- Category: Young People
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Education & Training
- Food Preparation & Service
- Sport & Physical Activity
- Tutoring & Coaching
- Skilled Volunteers
- Work Experience & Internships
8 hours per week.
On the job training.
- Driver's Licence (C)
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
Please provide a CV alongside your application.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
1. Demonstrated commitment in line with Concern Australia’s Values
1. Knowledge of the education and/or employment sectors including LLENs, Learn Local Providers, RTOs and TAFE
2. Knowledge of the Youth Justice system and Child Protection out of home care systems
3. Experience in support and case management of adolescents
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
You will be reimbursed for CrimCheck costs.
Concern Australia is a dynamic not-for-profit Christian organisation which finds its roots in the work of Rev Dr John Smith who also founded the God’s Squad Christian Motorcycle Club in the 1970s.
Today we work with young people and children 5-21 years, creating opportunities for them to enjoy full and meaningful lives. Late 2016 we launched 2020VISION, our new Strategic Plan and we are working to realise 4 shared goals to be PEOPLE-CENTRED, LEADER, PARTNER, STEWARD. Our work focusses on the innovation, development and delivery of responses in the areas of Education; Housing & Homelessness; and Justice.
This position exists to work alongside young people within the Hand Brake Turn program, equipping them with life skills that promote independence.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1. CONNECT - assist with the assessment of young people’s support needs
• Coordinate visits and conduct orientation for young people entering Hand Brake Turn
• Communicate all procedures in relation to the program
2. CONNECT - advocate on behalf of young people
• Attend and participate as the young person’s advocate in meetings
• Engage with young person and provide choices that determine their appropriate behaviour for remaining in the Program
• Advocate young person’s needs to internally and to external professionals as appropriate
• Support young person to access support services required
• Communicate to young person the rights and responsibilities of both young people and key stakeholders in the Program
3. COACH - provide Support for Young People
• Provide support to young people based on their individual, communal, physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual needs
• Listen to young person in relation to their needs, concerns and personal goals
• Support young person to develop relationships and social networks. These networks may be internal to CA or sought externally
• Engage with young person in activities and tasks that develop their independence in accordance with their vocational aspirations
4. ADMINISTRATON - Assist with data collection and reporting requirements
• Ensure engagement with young person is clearly documented on databases as required
• Contribute to documentation as per government department’s standards
• Record and report critical incidents using government department’s Client Incident Reports templates provided Hand Brake Turn
5. Other duties
• Duties beyond the scope of this position description may present from time to time
• Reasonable requests for such duties to be discussed and agreed with line manager and executed accordingly
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SUITABILITY
• Experience or passion to work in either social work, youth work or social sciences
• Knowledge on how to work with young people impacted by developmental trauma
• Excellent communication skills
• Previous experience or passion in automotive and cars
• Well organized and enjoy developing relationships
• Friendly, positive and proactive approach
• Initiative and the ability to 'make things happen'
• Reliability and discretion: you will often learn of confidential matters
• Communication, presentation, negotiation and relationship-building skills
• Organisational skills
• IT skills
• Problem solving skills
• Good discernment skills