- Location: Sydney NSW
- Category: Human Rights
Type of work
- Marketing, Media, & Communications
- Mediation & Advocacy
- Research, Policy, & Analysis
A few hours
ActionAid Australia is a women’s rights organisation, working in 45 countries to achieve social justice, gender equality and poverty eradication. We use a human rights based approach that recognises the capacity of people living in poverty and exclusion to lead change and drive alternatives. Our strategic priorities are women’s economic and climate justice, and their rights in emergencies.
About this position:
Community Leaders work within ActionAid’s local action groups which campaign locally for women’s rights globally. Community Leaders are connected to a national activist network of over 15 local groups across Australia.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Attending monthly meetings with the local ActionAid group.
- Assisting in the planning, coordination and execution of events and campaign activities.
- Contributing to the shared strategy of the local ActionAid group and supporting the evaluation of this strategy.
- Identifying opportunities to recruit new volunteers and supporting them to join the local group.
- Attending monthly online trainings and campaign briefings with the national activist network.
- Liaising with the NSW State Coordinator and Community Organising Manager.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- 2-4 hours a week to dedicate to this role.
- A demonstrated commitment and passion for women’s rights.
- A commitment to ActionAid’s values.
- Computer literacy and ability to use phone and email systems.
- Respect for ActionAid’s independence and an ability to work within this ethos.
- Passion for social justice and the role that everyday people can play to achieve a fairer and more equitable world.
What we will provide:
- The chance to connect with ActionAid supporters and staff in Australia.
- Connection with an international movement of supporters who believe in women’s rights and social justice.
- Ongoing trainings and skill-shares in community organising and campaigning.
- The chance to contribute to the development of the campaign and community organising strategy for ActionAid Australia.
ActionAid is an equal opportunities organisation, and we know that our activist network’s diversity makes it strong. We are always actively looking for volunteer applicants from a diverse range of genders, cultures, language groups, abilities, sexual orientation and experiences to apply.