- Location: Adelaide SA
- Category: Community Services
Type of work
- Working with Animals
Regular - more than 6 months
- Driver's Licence (C)
- National Police Certificate *
Drivers licence and a car are required.
A police clearance will be required for successful applicants who are 18 years or older.
Please Note: As each organisation provides different levels/types of insurance, volunteers are reminded to check with the organisation as to the type of insurance provided for volunteers (e.g. Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance).
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
We are currently seeking Puppy Raisers to care for a Guide Dog puppy from 8 weeks for 12-14 months. Our Puppy Raisers play a vital role in the development of our puppies as they transition towards a potential career as a Guide Dog.
Before submitting an expression of interest please ensure that you fit the criteria listed below:
• Able to commit time to attend weekly training sessions across metropolitan Adelaide during business hours • Work part time or less – the puppy cannot be left for any longer than 4 hours per day (less with puppies under 6 months of age) • Integrate the puppy into your life and day to day routines • Dedicating time to socialise the pup to new environments as directed • Commitment from all family members to follow instructions on early development
Health and Safety of Volunteer and Puppy
• Able to physically handle a 30kg dog on a lead • Previous handling or ownership of large breed dogs is desirable • Physical ability to perform repetitive tasks such as squatting, kneeling, bending & lifting • Secure yard with fencing a minimum height of 1.5m • Pools, spas and ponds are fully enclosed • Removing of all dangerous plants + poisons • Groom and health check (with guidance from your Puppy Raising Advisor) the puppy on a regular basis • Commitment to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of the puppy is not compromised while in your care
• All members of the household agree to raise a puppy • Are children of school age? (e.g. 5 years and older) • Pets at home to be approved • Is anyone at home allergic to dogs? • Is the household prepared to clean up after the puppy e.g. toileting accidents and dog hair, occasional chewing may occur? • If you rent, do you have permission from either a Landlord or Body Corporate allowing animals on the premises?