- Location: Melbourne VIC
- Category: Seniors & Aged Care
Type of work
- Companionship & Social Support
- Seniors & Aged Care
- People Learning English
- People with disability
Regular - more than 6 months
Any daytime hours - Two hours a week - Commitment 12 months or more. The next training session will be taking place in February 2019. Training sessions are held every 6 months.
One day training session with other volunteers covering a variety of issues which affect the older generation, boundary setting, the details of the role as well as case studies and a brief talk from a current volunteer. Quarterly supervision sessions.
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
- Application Form
- Reference checks
- Induction session
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
The Boroondara Volunteer Resource Centre is advertising this role on behalf of Wellways.
Help make a positive impact on an individuals life. Meet an older person in your community and learn from their life experience. If you can commit 2 hours a week or 3 hours a fortnight for one on one contact with an older person and commit for at least 12 months this is a great opportunity to get involved.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- 2 hours a week or 3 hours a fortnight one on one contact with an older person
- Sitting and talking with an individual at their home or going into their local community for a coffee or to engage in activities together
- Communicating with the Volunteer Supervisor in a timely manner
- Attending supervision sessions
- 12 month minimum commitment
Skills and Experience:
- A respect for older people in our society and a firm belief in a better connected community
- Keen conversationalist and attentive listener
- Gentle, kind and patient
- Enthusiastic problem solver
- Clear boundary setting
- Training and experience working with older people
- Inclusion in a supportive and vibrant volunteer community
- Seeing measurable direct positive impact on an individuals life
- Meeting an older person in your community and learning from their life experience
- Freedom and encouragement to take the match in your own direction
Other information re: training:
- Meet and greet with the volunteer supervisor and older individual
- Matches run for up to 6 months on a weekly or fortnightly basis
- Regular phone contact with the supervisor
- There is the option of ongoing training
Note: This role can be conducted at an individuals home or local area in and around the Northern suburbs.