- Location: Greenway ACT
- Category: Community Services
Type of work
- Administration & Office Management
- Food Preparation & Service
- Retail & Sales
- Wheelchair Access
Regular - more than 6 months
Communities@Work’s Community Pantry is open from 9 am to 3 pm weekdays at the Tuggeranong Community Centre and the Gungahlin Community Centre. Volunteer shifts for this role are flexible between these hours.
Organisation Induction and Program Orientation
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
• Ordering Stock, and restocking the pantry shelves, fridges and freezers
• Working with the social programs database (entering client details, details of food deliveries etc)
• Handling sales (cash handling and cash register operation)
• Food handling (including fruit and vegetables, meat, canned and frozen goods)
• Cleaning and tidying of the store (including sweeping, mopping, wiping down shelves and cleaning out fridges)
• Emptying food pantry bins
• Collecting food, clothing and toy donations
• Basic administrative tasks such as laminating, typing, photocopying and printing
• Ensuring that all food is within its use by date
• Communicating and interacting with clients of the program
• Shopping for food items for the store
• Following general procedures
• Following correct procedures relating to food handling and disposal
• Undertaking other duties directed by the Community Intake Liaison Coordinator
Skills and Experience:
• Strong communication and people skills
• Great listening skills
• Customer service skills
• Administrative and/or retail experience
• Comfortable handling cash
Qualities & Attitudes:
• Positive, can do attitude
• Comfortable interacting with vulnerable people
• Warm, friendly, outgoing and people focused
• Empathetic, compassionate and non-judgmental
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
The Community Pantry program provides food and important services to individuals and families experiencing hardship in the Canberra region.
The objective of the program is to help people in need make life changing choices in terms of nutrition, budgeting and household practices.
With a pantry full of healthy food, hampers and essential items (available either for free or for a nominal charge), our clients can ‘shop’ in a safe, secure, dignified setting.