- Location: Subiaco WA
- Category: Health
Type of work
- Counselling & Help Line
- Wheelchair Access
Regular - more than 6 months
Weekdays, Evenings, Weekends
All necessary training provided
- National Police Certificate *
- Working with Children Check *
Must be over 18 years
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.
This position seeks supportive, empathetic volunteers who are able to respond appropriately to callers telephoning the crisis line and in face-to-face communications. These people may be expressing suicidal feelings or are in despair.
Deep anguish can engulf ordinary people at any time in their lives. That's why the Samaritans Crisis Line strives to be there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Samaritans are every day people who are willing to give some of their time to support those in crisis. What makes a Samaritan special is their discretion, reliability, open mindedness and willingness to really listen.
Wondering if you could become a Samaritan? You must be 18 years or over.
Now try this simple test
- Lisa is 14 and pregnant. Should she have an abortion?
- Eric is 26 and HIV-positive. Should he tell his family?
- Lily is 43. Her husband has a girlfriend in China. Should she leave him?
- Albert is 68, and in constant pain from cancer. Would it be right for him to take an overdose?
If you answered a definitive yes or no to these questions, then Samaritan work is probably not for you. But if you weren't sure, if you can listen to people tell their stories without making judgements, please do contact us.