Havelock House was first opened in 1951 as a hostel to accommodate public servants. Havelock House was officially handed over to the Department of Territories, Housing Branch in May 1987. The Department of Territories undertook refurbishment of the building while an interim Management Committee was appointed to set up the new accommodation service. The building was officially handed over from the Department of Territories to Havelock Housing Association on 10th April 1988, and the first residents moved in. Since that time, Havelock Housing has provided affordable accommodation for people on low incomes. In 1992 Havelock House was incorporated and became the Havelock Housing Association. Properties in other locations across Canberra gradually came under the Association's management and today the Association is the ACT largest Community Housing provider. Havelock Housing Association is based on a community-housing model. A model whereby not-for-profit community organisations seek to provide long term, safe, secure, affordable and appropriate housing which: ¦Encourages and maximizes opportunities for tenants to assume control over their home and environment through participation in management. ¦Is flexible and responsive and respectful of individual rights. ¦Contributes to the development of communities.
See all opportunities for Havelock Housing Association