Volunteer West is advertising this role on behalf of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Australia.
To provide one-to-one face-to-face mentoring and friendship to a young person aged between 7 and 17 years. Mentors commit to spending quality time with a young person; a minimum of one hour 3 to 4 times per month for a minimum of 12 months. No formal qualifications are necessary.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
• To develop a mutually co-operative, supportive and fun friendship
• To act as a positive role model and encourage new experiences and opportunities
• To encourage a young person to reach their potential
• To respect a young person’s dignity and right to privacy
• To maintain positive relationships with parent/guardians and respect their confidentiality/privacy
• To consider the safety of the young person and establish appropriate boundaries/limits for behaviour
• To maintain regular contact with the nominated Coordinator regarding the progress of the friendship
• To participate in ongoing training and volunteer support meetings
• Genuine interest in the wellbeing of young people
• Ability to develop a friendship with a young person and act as a positive role model
• Good general health
• Minimum of 18 years ofage
• Ability to meet the minimum requirements for contact
• Resident in designated region/s
• Access to a viable means of transport (public transport or car). Drivers are required to have a valid driver’s licence, registered vehicle and minimum liability insurance as required by State law.
• Willingness to undergo the Big Brothers Big Sisters selection process including interviews, reference checks and a National Criminal Record Check and Working with Children Check. Any offer of a voluntary placement will be subject to satisfactory checks.