Guides, initially, will have a prime responsibility to ensure visitors enter and visit the Museum in a safe manner. This will involve two key tasks: providing information on the various displays and ensuring the Museum meets the required healthy status by encouraging social distancing and cleaning surfaces etc.
An extensive training regime will prepare guides to discuss our many exhibits, including HMAS Diamantina, the last surviving Royal Australian Navy vessel that participated in WW2 and surveyed a large part of the Indian Ocean. our current guides with a vast knowledge of our exhibits will mentor all new guides.
The Queensland Maritime Museum will attract more than 40,000 visitors per annum including families, school groups, tour groups, inter-state and international visitors. The Museum Guides will then be showing small groups of visitors around the museum’s permanent and temporary exhibitions, and through our popular vessels From Wednesdays to Fridays from 10.00 to 16.00 and Saturdays and Sundays from 09.30 to 16.30.
School and large groups will receive guided tours by teams of guides. Group tours take between one and two hours and can be physically demanding in the heat at times. All you need is enthusiasm, the ability to commit to regular times, and an interest in Queensland’s and Australia’s maritime history. If you value our historical maritime heritage and enjoy working in a friendly cooperative environment, QMMA is the ideal place for you.
We are now looking for enthusiastic people to help take the museum forward.
We are looking for candidates with following qualities:
- Ability to accept responsibility
- Patient and tactful
- Understanding and acceptance of different cultures
- Good organisational skills
- Good problem-solving skills and ability to think logically
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job (walking around the site and over the Diamantina during the day)
- A good level of spoken English
- A second or third language (beneficial)
- Pleasant and helpful
- Enthusiastic and interested in the exhibits
- Great professional demeanour
- Good people and communication skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Must be a team player
- Able to act firmly when needed
- Alert, observant and security conscious.